I am very sad for the loss of my dear Uncle Mike. He was truly a gem. He was a man of incredible spirituality. He was the smartest man I ever met. He had a love for knowledge and found that in books. According to my cousin, his library easily numbers in the 20,000's and has been accused of being a bibliophile. Being witness to his library room I wouldn't doubt it. He left a wonderful legacy for his family not only by his actions but through his journal and his auto-biography. Uncle Mike was a kind and gentle man who loved to tease his nieces and nephews. He would always call us boy-kissers and at 8 yrs old that's not what you want to be known as. But we loved him dearly and loved teasing with him.
His funeral was absolutely beautiful and uplifting. There were so many people there, it looked like Stake Conference. The talks given by Shelly, Adam, Lindsay, and Liz where so completely heartfelt and wonderful. I enjoyed hearing their memories of their father and father-in-law. Liz quoted his auto-biography in her talk. It was amazing to here his thoughts about himself. I don't think his memory could not have been celebrated in a more perfect way.
On a side note, Uncle Mike and Aunt Carolyn's ward in Hurricane, Ut is absolutely amazing. They brought in 4 dinners in 1 night to help feed the mass of family that had gathered at Carolyn's house. The Young Woman provided a nursery/babysitting for all the young children present at the viewing on Friday and the Funeral on Saturday. This was such a wonderful surprise to me to not have to worry about Aly and to be able to visit with my family and enjoy the peaceful spirit as we shared stories of Mike. They also provided the food for the family luncheon after the funeral. With all the Jensen's and Ferrin's present we easily numbered 150+. They had so many ward memebers and youth come to help that they didn't have enough jobs for everyone to do. What a wonderful ward and what a testament to the kind of man Mike Ferrin was and is.
The most wonderful, and I would even say miraculous event to unfold from this whole ordeal was to be able to see my Uncle Jim. Aunt Cindy, and cousin Jamie again. For various reasons we have not been able to see them for over 10 years and haven't been able to speak with them for at least 6 years. Jim made the incredible sacrifice to fly out here from Alabama with his severely painful rheumatoid arthritis. I know he was in a lot of pain, but for purely selfish reasons, I am so thankful that he came out. I love them both so much, and Jamie too of course, and was so ecstatic to see them. I know that my dad was thrilled to pieces to be able to spend time with his brother. I love them so much and am grateful that I was able to spend time with them and that they had the opportunity to meet Peter and Aly. We hope to see them again soon and hopefully not have to wait 10 years again.
Uncle Mike left us with wonderful memories and an incredible legacy. I'm sure that he is watching over Aunt Carolyn and all his children and grandchildren. I'm also sure that he is happy to be with his family in heaven and is probably as giddy as a school boy because of the the new things that are being taught to him. My thoughts and prayers are with every single member of his family.
The Jensen Sibling's
(from left to right)
Bill, Linda, Margie, Mary, Carolyn, Joann, Mike, and Jim
(unable to attend, Rob)

With Spouses
David & Mary, Bill & Donna, Doug & Margie, Carolyn,
Joann & Steve, Becky & Mike, Cindy & Jim, Linda & Mark
All the Jensen's who were able to attend.
(Yes, there are more who were not able to be there.)



Jill, I just read this wonderful recap of my Dad's life and the miracles of the past week with my sister. We are so greatful that you came to support us during our time of need and your writings were so touching. I admire you so much and think you are an absolute sweetheart, thank you for this heartfelt tribute.
ReplyDeleteDear Jilly bean, Thank you for writing such a beautiful tribute to Uncle Mike. You are so dear to us all, especially to me!
ReplyDelete